While many high school seniors anxiously await acceptances from their favorite colleges and universities, Carroll High School senior Michael Davis can rest assured his future is set.
Davis has received an appointment to the United States Military Academy at West Point.
"I've always looked at West Point as being one of the greatest institutions in America, but being a part of ROTC made me want to do it," he said. "I've always wanted to be
something."
Davis believes his strong work ethic, his determination and his discipline earned his admission to West Point.
"I feel that I'm not the best at everything I do," he said. "But hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard. As long as I apply myself, everything else falls in place."
He's a 4.0 student, ROTC cadet corps commander, student body president, Eagle Scout candidate and according to Lt. Commander Don Tatum, he's the first African American from Monroe to go to West Point.
Despite his accomplishments, Davis remains humble and grateful, especially to his grandmother, Corine Randle, 91, who reared him since he was seven years old.
"I admire my grandma the most because of her determination," he said. "The last grade she attended was fourth, but she taught me to get my education and to be whatever I wanted to be. She inspired me to do my best."
Davis says that in addition to his grandma's advice, being part of ROTC at Carroll High School helped him to be
successful.
"It taught me discipline and responsibility," he said. "It helps me to narrow things down so that all it took was my initiative to get what I wanted."
Through Boy Scouts and ROTC, Davis participated in more than 100 community service projects, leading a large number of them.
Davis' scout leader Mark Snellgrove said that he is a natural leader and a role model to the younger scouts. "He's always consistent and ready to help," he said. "He has a determination and willingness to go the extra mile to keep the troop running smoothly."
After he completes West Point, Davis will have a five year obligation to military service and that's something he takes very seriously.
"I feel we all have a duty to serve our country either in the military or civilian work," he said. "I don't know what I want to do with my life, but I want to do my best and make an impact on this world and make everybody proud of me."

No comments:
Post a Comment